MacPennys nursery itself was bought around 1934 by Mr. Douglas
Lowndes from a lady who grew drought resistant plants and sold them
in small pots for one penny each. Her name was Marcia
Ashley-Corbett, hence the name MacPennys.
All the early
plantings were made by Mr. Douglas Lowndes, including many rare
trees and shrubs, camellias, rhododendrons azaleas, heathers and
many more unusual ericaceae.
Douglas Lowndes continued to
grow alpines and herbaceous plants until the War when he changed to
growing vegetables and other produce for the War Effort. In 1951 an
old and derelict gravel pit was purchased as an extension to the
original MacPennys nursery which has since become the Woodland
Since 1977 MacPennys has been owned and run by the
late Douglas Lowndes son Tim and his wife Vivien, now joined by their
MacPennys is also the home of the original MacPenny Long Life Label,
which is still made on the premises and sold around the world.
Naturally, it is also available from MacPennys.
storms of January 1990 caused much damage and many of the large
Euchryphias and Embothreums were destroyed and have since been
The area has since increased from 5 to 17.5 acres
- all currently under production. Many rare and unusual shrubs,
woody and herbaceous plants are still grown there and can be
purchased from the Sales Office all year round.